Medical Technologist - Microbiology
PeaceHealth is seeking a Medical Technologist - Microbiology for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Day position. The general salary range for this job opening at PeaceHealth is $33.10 – $56.29. The actual hiring rate is dependent upon several factors, including but not limited to, the job/position responsibilities, location, terms of the applicable collective bargaining agreement, education, training, work experience, seniority, work performance, etc.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Responsible for performing complex laboratory procedures and tests in areas such as blood bank, chemistry, hematology, immunology and microbiology, using established protocols and procedures. Monitors, screens and troubleshoots devices, tests and procedures, recognizing anomalies, and making corrections to ensure quality.
- Evaluates specimens for testing, utilizes appropriate criteria and upholds established performance standards. Applies established criteria for testing, and analysis of entire process from preparation, conducting test, functioning of devices and procedures to ensure quality test results. Performs waived, moderate and high complexity laboratory tests.
- Maintains equipment and tools; performs quality assurance testing, routine calibration and ensures optimal performance.
- May assist Technical Specialist or Supervisor with the evaluations of new methods and and procedures.
- Consults with clinicians, supervisor and other caregivers as appropriate on test results, requirements and testing protocols.
- Gives direction and guidance to phlebotomy and specimen management teams, may assist with orientation of new caregivers and students, and assesses competencies.
- Maintains appropriate records for specimens, tests and data. Utilizes computer systems in reporting and documenting analysis.
- Participates in department in-services and continuing education programs, attending lectures, workshops and video presentation as required. Participates in required competency assessment and proficiency testing activities. Provides (CAP, HIPAA, etc) compliance support. HIPA, etc) and provides active support.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree Required: Medical Technology or
- Bachelor's Degree Required: Clinical Laboratory Science or
- Bachelor's Degree Required: Chemistry or
- Bachelor's Degree Required: Biological Science. or an equivalent related science. Preference will be given to candidates who have completed an accredited laboratory training program. Program or institution must be accredited by a regional or national accreditation agency.
- 2 years Preferred: Clinical experience performing high complexity testing in a clinical laboratory department
- New graduates will be considered
- Required within 1 Year: Medical Technologist or discipline specific certification, ASCP or equivalent (AMT, AAB). Accepted certification for non-US citizens includes ASCPi, AMT, or CSMLS
- Ability to recognize and ensure validity of abnormal patient and/or QC results for testing (Required)
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries (Required)
- Good written and verbal communication skills (Required)
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs (Required)
- Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra (Required)
- General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs (Required)
Department / Location Specific Notes
Southwest Medical Center, Bellingham
- Scheduled on-call shifts may be required.
- Patient handling no greater than 35 lbs. without the use of assistive equipment and/or devices (NIOSH).
- Ability to move around area with occasional sitting.
- Fine motor skills to be able to grasp and control medical equipment, frequently.
- Lift/Carry: Frequently up to 5 lbs. Occasionally up to 20 lbs.
- Push/Pull: Frequently up to 10 lbs. force.
- Reaching frequently.
- Squat/ kneel/ bend occasionally.
- Exposure to biohazard, body fluids and airborne particles.
- Exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Vision and hearing required within normal limits (glasses, contacts, hearing aids permitted).
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information.
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.
PeaceHealth requires a completed Primary Vaccine Series (e.g., 2 dose monovalent Pfizer, Moderna or Novavax series or 1 dose J&J vaccine series) or be Up to Date (receiving the most recent Pfizer/Moderna bivalent vaccine/booster) for COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. PeaceHealth has a medical and religious exemption request process for those that are unable to receive the COVID-19 primary vaccine series due to medical/religious reasons. For caregivers that will be working in Oregon there is a personal vaccine exemption form that may be requested.