Systems Engineer II
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
This is a remote position.
Position Title: Systems Engineer II
$82,500 to $137,500 annually DOE
Comprehensive health benefits include - medical, dental, vision, 401k, flexible spending account, paid sick
leave and paid time off, quarterly performance bonus, training, career growth and education reimbursement
At Ziply Fiber, our mission is to elevate the connected lives of our communities every day. We’re delivering the
fastest home internet in the Northwest, with a focus on areas traditionally underserved by mainstream internet
companies. And as our state-of-the-art fiber network expands in WA, OR, ID and MT, so does our need for team
members who can help us grow and realize our goals.
We may be building internet, but we are reaching real people. We strive to build relationships and provide
customers and communities with refreshingly great experiences.
We emphasize our values in all our interactions:
Genuinely Caring: Our customers and colleagues are people, and quite possibly our neighbors. We put
ourselves in their shoes and give them our full attention.
Empowering You: We empower our customers to choose the products that best meet their needs, and we
support our employees to implement solutions that elevate the experiences of our customers and coworkers.
Innovation and Improvement: We always look for ways to make the experiences of our customers – and each
other – better.
Earning Your Trust: We earn trust by communicating simply and transparently as real people, not as a
The Systems Engineer II (not a Systems Developer) will have large company engineering and application
experience who is adept at working with development and system administration teams to implement, maintain
and troubleshoot our expanding systems infrastructure with a focus on automation and efficiency. You will design
and maintain Hypervisor Clusters, Kubernetes Clusters, Linux and Windows virtual machines, storage area
networks and infrastructure automation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities listed below are a range of duties performed by the employee and not
intended to reflect all duties performed:
• Lead and contribute to the development of custom code to integrate platform components, fill tooling gaps
and solve potentially unique situations.
• Provide mentorship and training to the Network Automation Team.
• Perform development, testing, implementation and review of complex automation solutions related to
provisioning, monitoring and configuring a network and infrastructure environment.
• Provide peer review and guidance on code and perform quality assurance tasks.
• Responsible for creation of and contribution to; processes, standards, technical documentation and
• Employ modern CI/CD pipelines using DevOps tooling.
• Write and maintain technical standards and documentation.
• Conduct technical research and maintain viable knowledge of technology trends, new software and best
• Automating operational reports e.g., SLA reporting, utilization statistics and network forecasting.
• Establishing system/data integrations to enhance existing or establish new processes
• Provide training to other network domain teams for the adoption of automation capabilities.
• Must be available to work regular business hours Pacific Standard Time.
• Must also be available to work on-call, evenings and weekends as needed.
• Performs other duties as required to support the business and evolving organization.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Management or related field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of five years of engineering and application experience working with development teams and
system administration teams.
• Minimum of three years of work experience in a large, geographically distributed server architecture.
• Minimum of three years of experience working with development teams for functional requirements on
distributed server systems running internally developed applications.
• Minimum of three years of experience working for large telecommunication companies.
• Minimum of three years of networking experience with focus on server interconnections.
• Experience with large scale software upgrades and versioning changes across multiple servers.
• In depth knowledge of service provider systems, applications and processes for IT organizations.
• In depth knowledge of service provider products, services and offerings for commercial and residential
• Ability to automate repetitive engineering tasks.
• Familiarity with SOA and Microservice software design patterns.
• Development skills:
• Hands on application experience:
o Deploying/configuring Nginx, Apache and core Linux subsystems like bind, iptables, etc.
o Version control (eg Git/Gitlab, Github)
o CI/CD (e.g. Jenkins, Travis, TeamCity or equivalent)
o Docker containerization and clustering (Kubernetes/ECS)
o Configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
• Knowledge of software life cycle management with emphasis on inception, defining processes and
developing technical business requirements.
• Experience with Agile (Scrum, Kanban) software delivery methodology.
• Ability to write Ops guides/MOPs/etc. as needed.
• Effectively communicate between non-technical people and deeply technical SME’s.
• Ability to communicate effectively across multiple large organizational structures.
• Driven to identify and provide effective solutions as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to work independently and apply sound judgment and reasoning skills to a variety of situations.
• Ability to multi-task and collaborate effectively with other personnel to meet deadlines.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work within critical deadlines.
• Ability to adjust to rapidly changing priorities and schedules.
• Proven ability to understand and codify a manual process into an automated process using workflow-like
• Understanding and familiarity with Ansible, Jinja and other Infrastructure as Code tools.
• Understanding and familiarity with computing technologies such as; Kubernetes, Docker, Linux,
containers, virtualization and cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc).
• Knowledge of IP/Ethernet networking fundamentals.
• Interest and ability to research new and emerging technologies to better solve networking problems.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills.
• Ability to work independently and apply sound judgment and reasoning skills to a variety of situations,
multi-task and collaborate effectively with other personnel to meet deadlines.
• Ability to translate highly technical information into non-technical terms and user documentation.
• Strong verbal and written communication, attention to detail and familiarity with compliance concepts.
• Ability to work within critical deadlines.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US for any employer. Sponsorship is not available for this
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for bending, stooping,
sitting, walking or standing for prolonged periods of time; most of time is spent sitting in a comfortable position
with frequent opportunity to move about. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment and Additional Information:
Work is performed in an office setting with exposure to computer screens and requires extensive use of a
computer, keyboard, mouse, and multi-line telephone system. The work is primarily a modern office setting.
At all times, Ziply Fiber must be your primary employer. Unless otherwise prohibited by law, employees may not
hold outside employment nor be self-employed without obtaining approval in writing from Ziply Fiber. In holding
outside employment or self-employment, employees should ensure that participation does not conflict with
responsibilities to Ziply Fiber or its business interests.
Diverse Workforce / EEO:
Ziply Fiber is an equal opportunity employer. Ziply Fiber will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, and the presence of
a non-job-related handicap or disability or any other legally protected status.
Ziply Fiber requires a pre-employment background check as conditions of employment. Ziply Fiber may require a
pre-employment drug screening.
Ziply Fiber is a drug free workplace.