Spanish Speaking Agricultural Extension Coordinator
Washington State University Everett
Available Title(s):1132-YN_ADMINPRO - Extension Coordinator
Business Title:Spanish Speaking Agricultural Extension Coordinator
Employee Type:Admin. Professional (+) (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Position Term:12 Month
Summary of Duties: This position has oversight and responsibility for developing and implementing Spanish language program content and translation of existing program content for the WSU School of the Environment and the WSU Skagit County Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources Department. The WSU Spanish Speaking Agricultural Extension Coordinator is responsible for translating and outreaching to the LatinX Agricultural community in Washington state. This includes management,planning, and facilitating training sessions and developing, coordinating, and implementing Spanish-based activities. Participation in webinars, conferences and continuing education is an expectation. This position is the liaison between Washington State University and the LatinX community of Skagit County and Washington State. The Extension Coordinator works closely with other Extension staff, faculty, and community partners to ensure that programs and activities meet community needs and are culturally appropriate. Must be fluent in reading, writing and speaking Spanish in an Agricultural setting.
A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant extension program discipline and two (2) years of related program experience. Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Must be fluent in reading, writing and speaking Spanish in an Agricultural setting.
- Ability to work as a team member and foster teamwork.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree should be in related plant sciences or related field.
- Demonstrated success in developing Spanish language agricultural programs.
- The ability to work flexible hours that includes evenings, weekends and overnight travel is expected and required.
- While using a private vehicle for official business, the successful candidate must have current automobile liability insurance (meeting the requirements described in RCW 46.30.020 and RCW 46.29.090) and will possess a valid driver’s license.
- Valid Washington Driver’s License, reliable transportation, valid car insurance and good driving record.
- Must have completed or be willing to complete the Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) training program during the next available training cycle.
- Willingness to work with people with diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively and know when and how to delegate work and
- Ability to communicate proficiently using oral, written and listening Spanish skills.
- Skill and ability to follow policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently, be self-initiating and able to prioritize work.
- Skills using the MS Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Word); Adobe Acrobat and WordPress; and the ability to adapt to new technologies and techniques.
- All new employees must be screened and pass a background check.
Experience working with non-profit organizations.
Experience developing and demonstrating effective teaching methods for volunteers.
Area/College: WSU Extension
Department Name: Ag & Natural Resources
City, State, Zip: Burlington, WA 98233
Department Link: https://extension.wsu.edu/skagit/
Monthly Salary: $3,900.88 - $5,613.47
In accordance with RCW 49.58.110, the above salary reflects the full salary range for this position. Individual placement within the range is based on the candidate’s current experience, education, skills, and abilities related to the position. Successful candidates typically begin up to mid-point of the salary range. For additional information, please review WSU’s Administrative Professional Compensation.
WSU offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes paid sick and vacation leave; paid holidays; medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts.
For a more detailed summary of benefits offered by WSU for AP staff visit: https://hrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-Benefit-Overview-for-Faculty-and-AP.pdf.
Find total compensation information here: https://hrs.wsu.edu/managers/recruitment-toolkit/total-compensation/.
Overtime Eligibility: Overtime Eligible
Temporary End Date: This is a temporary position expected to end (1) one year from date of hire. Renewal is dependent on the need for extension and/or if additional funding is secured to extend employment. Funding has been renewed successfully for several years and we expect funding to continue to be renewed.
Posting Close Date: Applicants must submit their completed application by November 21, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Screening Begin Date: November 21, 2023
Background Check: This position has been designated by the department to require a background check because it requires access to children or vulnerable adults as defined by RCW 74.34, engages in law enforcement, requires security clearance, interacts with WSU students in a counseling or advising capacity, has access to personal identifying and/or financial information, unsupervised access to university buildings/property, or other business-related need. A background check will not be completed until an initial determination of qualification for employment has been made.
Applicants must upload the following required documents to their online application.
External candidates, please upload all documents in the “Resume/CV” section of your application. Internal candidates, please upload all documents in the “Resume/Cover Letter” section of your application. Documents may be submitted in one file or separate files. Applicants are encouraged to upload as a PDF if possible. Applicants will be requested to provide contact information for professional references within the online application. Application materials should clearly communicate how the applicant meets all required qualifications and additional requirements.
- Cover Letter
Once your application has been submitted, you will not be able to log back in and upload/ submit any additional documents. Please ensure all required documents are submitted the first time.
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or email@example.com.