Visit www.vivafarms.org for more information.
Reports to: Director of Programs and Operations
Wage & Benefits: $26.45-$31.25/hour depending on experience, Health Benefits (75% paid by employer), 403(b) retirement program, monthly technology stipend, professional development funds
Term: Year-round, full-time position, overtime eligible. Responsibilities will vary throughout the year and some weekend and off-hours work may be required in conjunction with the busy farming season.
Farmer Training & Technical Assistance (50%)
The Farm Manager works closely with incubating farmers and is a primary provider for technical assistance in aiding farmers’ success in certified organic production of vegetable and small fruit crops. The Farm Manager will use his or her experience with diversified row crop production to assist farmers in proactively managing risk through production planning so as to avoid problems before they occur and responding appropriately if they do. Areas of technical assistance and best production practices include crop planning, soil health, fertility management, weed and pest control, irrigation, harvest forecasting and guidance, equipment operation, and other production areas.
- Be a resource to Viva Farmers, managing an effective system of availability to address technical farming concerns and support farmers in developing strategies to meet production goals
- Conduct operational and safety training on equipment with Viva Farmers.
- Operate equipment to assist incubating farmers with spring and fall ground preparation and crop production when requested and while providing training to increase farmers’ capacity to do independent equipment operation.
- Assist farmers as able with technical assistance on a variety of farm production topics. In instances where outside advice and guidance is needed, seek out local and regional specialists to solve problems in a cost effective manner.
- Assist farmers in setting up and learning to operate new equipment, both owned by Viva Farms and farmer-owned.
- Maintain appropriate records related to farmers’ use of Viva Farms resources.
- Assist farmers with strategic and integrated equipment planning and purchasing to scale up their production capacity and efficiency.
- Directly assist farmers in various aspects of record keeping and planning, including production planning, equipment use, field inputs, harvest records, and annual reviews related to organic certification and food safety certifications.
- Work with technical assistance team to provide production-oriented technical assistance to growers as part of a collaborative and “case-management” approach with other program staff that takes into account overarching and individualized business development plans for incubating farmers.
Whole Farm Management & Maintenance (50%)
In addition, the Farm Manager is primarily responsible for seasonal tasks related to preparing for and closing out the farming season across various production sites, as well as maintenance and upkeep of all Viva Farms facilities and equipment. The Farm Manager will leverage his/her familiarity with and connections to local agricultural practitioners to identify opportunities and garner support in the successful fulfillment of the position.
- In conjunction with Viva Staff, design and manage organizational and maintenance schedules and systems for all of Viva Farms’ equipment, tools and facilities.
- Determine strategic equipment needs for Viva Farms as a whole and assist in purchasing of equipment in conjunction with the Director of Programs and Operations.
- Pre-season preparation and ongoing monitoring, evaluation and repair of shared and “whole” farm systems, including irrigation systems, coolers, vehicles and equipment, road conditions, and common areas.
- Develop and manage systems of accountability for Viva Farmers in compliance with policies and procedures in Viva Farmer Manual.
- In conjunction with other Viva Farms’ staff, maintain and cultivate any acreage at Viva Farms not in production by an incubating farmer.
- Manage on-site compost production facility.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of Viva Farms.
- Must be a positive team player and be able to maintain a positive demeanor in a fast-paced environment that requires flexibility.
- 5+ years of applicable experience working in agricultural production of vegetables and fruits.
- Ability to take initiative to identify and balance priorities and execute an efficient work plan.
- Familiarity with and ability to independently and safely operate farm equipment, including tractors and implements.
- Experience with preventative maintenance to ensure proper function of farm equipment.
- General handiness, including familiarly with and ability to operate power tools and hand tools, and general construction and safety skills.
- Strong communication and relationship skills and demonstrated ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Bilingual in spoken English and Spanish.
- 10+ years in certified organic row crop production.
- Skilled in various software, including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Documents, and internet research.
If interested, please send a resume, salary requirements and a cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.