Human Resources & Labor Relations Director - City of Anacortes
Skagit-Island Human Resource Management Association
This position helps ensure the successful progress of Community Transit’s Employee Engagement initiatives through support of department staff and management. Under general supervision, provides confidential administrative support and assistance to Director and department staff. Performs complex work assignments, and is the subject matter expert in budgeting, business planning and travel coordination, ensuring compliance with agency business processes and policies. Acts as liaison with Employment Security, and internal and external vendors and customers, including validating the integrity of the data that is provided and shared. Tracks department budgets and coordinates purchasing activities. Organizes communication and schedules for department meetings and events. Composes a variety of department specific correspondence and documents. This position acts as a liaison for the department with internal and external customers; assists with department projects; and administers departmental programs.
- Provides confidential administrative support and assistance to the Director, managers, and staff. Composes and edits correspondence, board memos, reports, presentations, PowerPoints, smart sheets, and other materials. department staff, and coordinates and schedules departmental activities including travel, meetings, and other events. Facilitates department office moves, coordinating scope and work orders. Responds to various inquiries, complaints, and public records requests. Maintains effective working relationships with all customers.
- Independently manages various Employee Engagement programs such as unemployment claims. Gathers and assesses information, reviews records, interprets and communicates relevant information to Employment Security for their decision. Tracks reporting from Employment Security for accuracy and appropriateness of data and involves others as needed. Represents the agency in unemployment cases, hearings, preparing and submitting evidence as required. Carries out special projects and administers some programs for the department. Maintains files.
- Drafts and tracks department business plan and budget; researches and makes recommendations on non-salary items; maintains associated documents and databases; monitors approved budget spending. Processes requisitions, purchase orders, and change orders. Maintains department credit card, making purchases and reconciling monthly. Manages petty cash for the department. Works with vendor to dispute erroneous charges. Troubleshoots payment issues. Works closely with the director on overseeing the department budget.
- Acts as liaison for the department with internal and external customers. Determines relative importance of contacts, relays messages and handles the initial screening of contacts.
- Provides expert compilation, editing and formatting for critical agency documents, including personnel policies and programs. Works with other staff to develop and revise departmental policies, procedures and documents as needed.
- Safely performs work at a similar nature or level.
- Minimum of five years of experience as an administrative assistant involving confidential information. Three of the five years must have been acquired within the last five years.
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office Suite of programs (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Skill in communication and interpersonal relations as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, and the public.
- An associate degree in office administration may substitute for up to 2 years of the experience requirement. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above may be considered.
- Public Sector Experience
- Experience with budgeting accountabilities
- Experience with Smartsheet platform
Entry Requirements for: Knowledge and Skills
Qualification to enter this position requires knowledge of the following:
- MS Office and other computer applications, such as scheduling, email, Word, Excel, and database software use.
- Time management and priority setting.
- Record and file management systems.
- Editing skills to include: grammar, punctuation, spelling.
- Business procedures: correspondence, minute taking, record management, handling confidential or privileged records.
- Principles of accounting.
- Speak, read and present ideas in English.
Qualification to enter this position requires skill in:
- Dealing with sensitive issues with tact and professionalism.
- Applying an intentional focus on equity and inclusion to support an equitable and inclusive work environment.
- Taking and transcribing meeting minutes.
- Work organization techniques and time management to meet deadlines
- Effective communications, customer service and interpersonal relations as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc.
- Working with highly detailed and confidential data.
- Problem solving and good use of judgment.
- Working effectively both independently and in teams.
- Remaining adaptable to rapidly shifting priorities.
- Learning new assignments quickly.
Proficient Performance Requirements for Knowledge and Skills
Qualification to fulfill the full range of this position’s duties requires the following knowledge, which may be gained or further developed after entering the job:
- Knowledge of specific Community Transit functions.
- Knowledge of Community Transit policies and procedures.
Qualification to fulfill the full range of this position’s duties requires the following skills, which may be gained or further developed after entering the job:
- Skilled in Community Transit applications, budgeting and department software programs.
- Anticipate priorities and plan for them by planning work proactively.
- Coordinate and effectively utilizes resources.
- Orchestrate complex scheduling.
- Building rapport and maintaining long-term relationships.
Fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, standing, seeing, sitting, repetitive motions, pulling, lifting, carrying, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking and pushing.
Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, 25 pounds of force seldom, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Application and Selection Process:
This position is being sourced by Arch Staffing. Please apply at: https://www.indeed.com/job/hr-administrative-assistant-ii-9a21382d8cb031dd
- On-line applications only.
- Applicants for this job may be considered for other openings up to six months after the date this position is filled.
- Applicants who meet the minimum requirements may be scheduled for an interview as well as a variety of tests to demonstrate knowledge, and skills for the position. The evaluation process may include interviews, background check, reference checks and various performance tests.
Employees (and their families) are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance. Employees participate in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) and have the option to enroll in the agency’s deferred compensation plan. In addition to WA Paid Sick Leave, employees in this position, accrue nineteen (19) days of Paid Time Off (152 hours) in their first year and receive nine (9) paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Full list of all benefits and details can be found here.
Effective January 1, 2022, all new employees must provide proof of fully vaccinated status on or before their first workday. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine.
If you have a family member, or share the same living quarters of a current Community Transit employee, please let your Employee Engagement Recruiter know as your eligibility for this position will be affected.
Community Transit provides a tobacco-free and drug-free work environment. As a recipient of federal funds, Community Transit is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on any basis prohibited by Federal, State or Local law. We value and encourage diversity in our workforce. EOE AA/M/F/Vet/Disability. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.