Vehicle Dynamics Simulation Expert Job
This position is located within the Advanced Technologies organization at the PACCAR Technical Center with a focus on multibody dynamics simulation to support new vehicle design and Advanced Driver Assistant Systems (ADAS) development. Responsibilities include model development, validation and application, leading & guiding discussions with suppliers concerning requirements and design details to meet performance target. The person will engage with other divisions (Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF) as well as external organizations in collaborative activities as a technical expert.
PACCAR is a Fortune 500 company established in 1905. PACCAR Inc is recognized as a global leader in the commercial vehicle, financial, and customer service fields with internationally recognized brands such as Kenworth, Peterbilt, and DAF trucks. PACCAR is a global technology leader in the design, manufacture and customer support of high-quality light-, medium- and heavy-duty trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF nameplates. PACCAR designs and manufactures advanced diesel engines and also provides customized financial services, information technology and truck parts related to its principal business.
Whether you want to design the transportation technology of tomorrow, support the staff functions of a dynamic, international leader, or build our excellent products and services — you can develop the career you desire with PACCAR. Get started!
The PACCAR Technical Center provides engineering excellence to the truck, engine, and winch divisions of PACCAR Inc. through innovative product development and testing.
Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop simulation models and perform vehicle dynamic studies and validate the models with test correlations.
- Analyze complex simulation data and provide objective guidance on ride, handling, noise, vibration, and durability performance.
- Support validation team project plans that define test deliverables, scope of activities, labor and material costs, and schedules.
- Manage execution of multiple projects to deliver results on time and within budget, coordinating resources and working closely with support groups.
- Communicate simulation results stating clear recommendations and proposals to design teams.
- Publish technical project reports to document test scope, methods, results, and conclusions.
- Continually improve the simulation methods and processes used for correlation, while striving to meet multiple project deliverables.
- Create and perform analysis of full-vehicle truck models for ride comfort, structure-borne noise, durability of design concepts.
- Analyze driveline vibration for vehicle development and field related issues.
- Support related technical groups in the development of new vehicle technologies, including autonomous driving features, battery electric and alternative fuel vehicles, etc.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience with a strong background in structural dynamics, multi-body dynamics, ride comfort, and/or NVH simulation.
- Proven experience in ADAMS (strong preference), Motionview, Matlab/Simulink or similar vehicle dynamics simulation tools
- Working knowledge of pre- and post-processors (Hypermesh, Hyperview), FEA software (ABAQUS, Optistruct), and fatigue life calculators (n-code, FE-safe)
- Knowledgeable with test sensors and data acquisition equipment, including accelerometers, linear transducers, microphones.
- Knowledgeable with human sensitivity to full-body vibration, automotive NVH, acoustics, and sound quality metrics.
- Ability and desire to learn new tools and methods unique to PACCAR.
- Effective analysis and project management skills and excellent engineering judgment.
- Effective communication, administration, and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage personal workload, demonstrate flexibility, initiative, and the willingness to respond to shifting timelines and project demands.
Bachelor's degree in relevant field required. Master's degree (or higher) in the Mechanical Engineering preferred.
Additional Job Board Information
As a U.S. PACCAR employee, you have a full range of benefit options including:
- 401k with up to a 5% company match
- Fully funded pension plan that provides monthly benefits after retirement
- Comprehensive paid time off – minimum of 10 paid vacation days (additional days are provided with additional seniority/years of service), 12 paid holidays, and sick time
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
- Medical, dental, and vision plans for you and your family
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings account (HSA)
- Paid short-and long-term disability programs
- Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- EAP services including wellness plans, estate planning, financial counseling and more