Usability Test Engineer Job
PACCAR’s Ergonomics and HMI department, which serves both Kenworth and Peterbilt, has an opening for a usability test engineer at our Technical Center in Mount Vernon, Washington. In this position you will have the opportunity to support user interface designs on heavy and medium duty trucks. The position is responsible for conducting driver research studies to evaluate in-vehicle display products and other physical control interfaces associated with PACCAR products. Within the domain of Human Centered Design, this role is focused more on the user test and prototype evaluation portion of that methodology and less on the functional or artistic design of the component itself. If you are skilled in the art of capturing the ‘voice of the customer’, both subjectively and objectively using the latest practices, come help PACCAR design fantastic products that truck drivers love.
PACCAR is a Fortune 500 company established in 1905. PACCAR Inc is recognized as a global leader in the commercial vehicle, financial, and customer service fields with internationally recognized brands such as Kenworth, Peterbilt, and DAF trucks. PACCAR is a global technology leader in the design, manufacture and customer support of premium light-, medium- and heavy-duty trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF nameplates and also provides customized financial services, information technology and truck parts related to its principal business.
Whether you want to design the transportation technology of tomorrow, support the staff functions of a dynamic, international leader, or build our excellent products and services, you can develop the career you desire with PACCAR. Get started!
Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Handle all logistics aspects of performing user testing. This includes developing usability test plans and scripts, recruiting/scheduling participants, ensuring the test article is ready for evaluation, conducting data collection, data reduction/ analysis, and reporting of the results (in both written and presentation formats).
- Determine which test methodology best fits the research goal (observation, interviews, contextual inquiry, heuristic evaluation, written or verbal survey questions, taking objective performance measures, etc.).
- Create test methodology procedures, document them, and establish associated infrastructure necessary for usability testing of various in-vehicle systems. Testing locations will range from remote customer contact, desktop-based prototypes to test track or road evaluations in trucks.
- Keen ability to observe user behavior going beyond just documenting what a user says to understanding what they ‘mean’ and more importantly ‘why’.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Comfortable interviewing and observing people in many different situations, including approaching strangers and putting them at ease. More importantly, the ability to accurately listen, observe, and draw correct conclusions about a user’s desire, motivation, or feelings when using a product.
- Ability to handle diverse assignments concurrently, largely self-directed, and with various levels of initial supplied definition.
- Familiar with research tools used in vehicle HMI assessment such as occlusion goggles, eye-tracking systems, ISO & SAE based evaluation practices, driving simulators, NHTSA Distraction Guidelines, etc.
BA/BS or MA/MS in behavioral science or closely related discipline or 2 or more years demonstrated equivalent direct experience. Qualifying fields include but are not limited to Human Factors Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology (Cognitive, Organizational, or Experimental), Sociology, Market Research, etc.
As a U.S. PACCAR employee, you have a full range of benefit options including:
- 401k with up to a 5% company match
- Fully funded pension plan that provides monthly benefits after retirement
- Comprehensive paid time off – Minimum of 10 paid vacation days (additional days are provided with additional seniority/years of service), 12 paid holidays, and sick time
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
- Medical, dental, and vision plans for you and your family
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings account (HSA)
- Paid short-and long-term disability program
- Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- EAP services including wellness plans, estate planning, financial counseling and more
Additional Job Board Information
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability. At PACCAR, we value talent and promote growth and development. We carefully consider numerous compensation factors, including your education, training, or experience. The salary range for Usability Test Engineer is $72,200 - $108,000 annually. Additionally, this role is eligible for a full range of benefit options listed above. This position is also eligible for a holiday gift. #LI-ZP1