Summer Internship 2024 - Vehicle Performance Engineer Intern Job
Work hands-on with professional engineers and learn state-of-the-art technologies at PACCAR Technical Center, PACCAR’s state-of-the-art testing facility dedicated to the development and validation of emerging technologies, such as vehicle electrification and autonomous driving systems.
The Vehicle Performance Group at PACCAR’s Technical Center is looking for a sharp, capable, and motivated engineering intern to learn and assist with heavy-truck performance testing, both physical and simulated. Working closely with and under the mentorship of high-performing engineering and technical staff, your contributions will support battery electric and autonomous vehicle programs, as well as other emerging technologies and related functional areas.
PACCAR is a Fortune 500 company established in 1905. PACCAR Inc is recognized as a global leader in the commercial vehicle, financial, and customer service fields with internationally recognized brands such as Kenworth, Peterbilt, and DAF trucks. PACCAR is a global technology leader in the design, manufacture and customer support of premium light-, medium- and heavy-duty trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF nameplates and also provides customized financial services, information technology and truck parts related to its principal business.
Whether you want to design the transportation technology of tomorrow, support the staff functions of a dynamic, international leader, or build our excellent products and services, you can develop the career you desire with PACCAR. Get started!
The PACCAR Technical Center Summer Internship Program provides an opportunity to learn about PACCAR through a work assignment in Vehicle Calibration & System Integration. Each intern will be integrated into division and department meetings, activities and events to ensure an understanding of PACCAR and our truck brands Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF. You will have the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to our dynamic organization, while learning valuable engineering skills to add to your resume. At the end of your internship, you have the opportunity to present your accomplishments to your fellow interns and senior management. PACCAR provides a professional, real-life intern experience while also providing opportunities to meet other interns and participate in events at our truck companies, testing facility and more. Start your career as an intern with PACCAR today!
The Vehicle Calibration & System Integration team is responsible for the calibration, integration, and verification of vehicle level features/functionality such as cruise control, speed limiters, warnings and telltales, etc.
Internships include unique learning opportunities:
• Learn first-hand from the industry's top professionals
• Work directly with professional Engineers and Senior Managers
• Develop mentoring relationships with management
• Gain valuable hands-on experience
Job Functions / Responsibilities
• Conduct vehicle dynamics testing to correlate with simulation results
• Assist with test planning, execution, and data analysis
• Assist with improving data acquisition, equipment, and processes
• Investigate simulation and modeling of fluid flow in hydraulic steering systems
• Investigate driver/truck steering interactions
• Research steering system technical and educational materials
• Review and revise performance requirement documents
- Intellectual curiosity and motivation to learn, innovate, and achieve results
- Willing and able to ask questions and think outside the box practical ways
- Passionate about automotive systems (demonstrated through hobbies, SAE/club involvement, previous work/experiences, etc.)
- Can understand physical systems and apply concepts to simulation models
- Can manage dynamic workload with flexibility and multi-tasking
- Excellent technical, communication, and team skills
- Strong computer skills
- Prefer familiarity with analytical tools (MATLAB/Simulink, etc.)
Degree Being Pursued: Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace) preferred
(School Year: Junior or Senior would be preferred)
Additional Job Board Information
At PACCAR, we value talent and promote growth and development. We carefully consider numerous compensation factors including your education, training, or experience. The salary range for undergraduate students is $25/hr and for graduate students $30/hr. Additionally, this role is eligible for the full range of benefit options listed below.
As a U.S. PACCAR intern, you have a full range of benefit options, including:
- Competitive salary and 401k with up to a 5% company match
- Medical, dental, and vision plans for you and your family
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA)
- EAP services: including wellness plans, estate planning, financial counseling, and more
- Global Fortune 500 company with a wide array of growth, training, and development opportunities
- Work alongside experienced goal-oriented colleagues recognized as experts in their field
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability.