Engine Development Technical Specialist Job
The PACCAR Global Engine team is looking for a driven and hands-on technical specialist with strong mechanical and electrical skills. This role requires the ability to support the engine performance and integration team through the development program focusing on in-vehicle heavy-duty diesel engine performance of the North American PACCAR engine families. The selected individual will work closely with the global cross-functional team and be responsible for assisting in delivering the best performing emissions and OBD compliant engine calibrations for North America.
PACCAR is a Fortune 500 company established in 1905. PACCAR Inc is recognized as a global leader in the commercial vehicle, financial, and customer service fields with internationally recognized brands such as Kenworth, Peterbilt, and DAF trucks. PACCAR is a global technology leader in the design, manufacture, and customer support of premium light-, medium- and heavy-duty trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF nameplates and also provides customized financial services, information technology and truck parts related to its principal business.
The PACCAR Technical Center provides engineering excellence to the truck, engine, and winch divisions of PACCAR Inc through innovative product development and testing. The Technical Center is located in the Skagit Valley about 65 miles north of Seattle, Washington.
Whether you want to design the transportation technology of tomorrow, support the staff functions of a dynamic, international leader, or build our excellent products and services — you can develop the career you desire with PACCAR. Get started!
Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing support for in-vehicle engine performance and hardware functional testing on current and future products
- Provides support to the running business group in the verification, validation, and release of running change software by performing functional regression testing
- Provides technician support to advanced technology and components sales projects
- Responsible for supporting compliance engineers throughout testing on current products utilizing knowledge of engine test cells and an excellent ability to diagnose and repair issues
- Works with the global cross-functional team to ensure test requirements are achieved for functional testing on systems related to engine thermal management, lubrication systems, and fuel systems.
- Supports development programs through technician support and the ability to perform targeted testing on offsite vehicle testing in extreme ambient conditions utilizing engineering calibration toolsets
- Support of general data analytics with ability to run analysis scripts created using MATLAB.
- Ensures proper communication and documentation of work conducted including writing and publishing technical reports
- Stays current on software functionality and product requirements for the PACCAR engine families. Stays technically current with the heavy-duty diesel industry.
- Maintains positive working relationships with other groups and PACCAR divisions
Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the automotive industry or diesel related field
- AA or equivalent 2-year degree from a technical college preferred.
- Sound knowledge of heavy-duty diesel engine and aftertreatment systems
- Ability to perform engine and aftertreatment maintenance, repairs, and mechanical and software updates independently
- Experience with engine and vehicle dynamometer setup and support for development programs
- Sound knowledge of in-vehicle verification and data acquisition systems, calibration tools, and engine control systems
- Must be self-directed, organized and take a rigorous approach to projects
- Ability to summarize technical issues and communicate effectively multi-cultural environment
- Organized and disciplined with ability to manage personal workload and a willingness and initiative to respond to shifting time and project demands.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Class A CDL holder is desired, must be capable of completing and maintaining PACCAR vehicle operation approval
- Ability to travel up to 15%
As a U.S. PACCAR employee, you have a full range of benefit options including:
- Competitive salary and 401k with up to a 5% company match
- Fully funded pension plan that provides monthly benefits after retirement
- Comprehensive paid time off – Minimum of 10 paid vacation days, 12 paid holidays, and sick leave
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
- Medical, dental, and vision plans for you and your family
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings account (HSA)
- Paid short-and long-term disability program
- Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- EAP services including wellness plans, estate planning, financial counseling and more
- Global Fortune 500 company with a wide array of growth and development opportunities
- Work alongside experienced goal-oriented colleagues recognized as experts in their field
Additional Job Board Information
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability. At PACCAR, we value talent and promote growth and development. We carefully consider numerous compensation factors, including your education, training, or experience. The salary range for Engine Development Technical Specialist is $72,200 to $108,000 annually. Additionally, this role is eligible for a full range of benefit options listed above.