Human Resources Technician
Northwest Educational Service District 189
1601 R Avenue
Anacortes, WA 98221
The NWESD aspires to be a racially and culturally inclusive staff that reflects the diversity of those we serve. We believe this strengthens our organization, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches staff engagement.
The Human Resources Technician assists the Payroll/Personnel Administrator in recruitment, interview, and onboarding processes, maintaining personnel files, customer support, and special projects. The Human Resources Technician will help support and back up the Payroll/Personnel Department with other Human Resources related functions as needed.
Duties listed are intended to provide a summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position. Incumbent(s) may not perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional duties not listed, but within the general scope of the position.
- Assists NWESD department staff and Human Resources department with recruitment efforts and onboarding including posting positions, preparing advertisements, processing applications, and arranging interviews.
- Screens applications for minimum qualifications and completeness.
- Assists in the new employee onboarding process including assisting new employees in completing required paperwork and scheduling new employee orientations.
- Prepares salary placement recommendations for new staff, consistent and compliant with NWESD best practices.
- Supports departments with new programs and positions including but not limited to creation of job descriptions, interview and screening questions.
- Responds to questions from prospective new employees and hiring managers in regard to recruitment and onboarding process. Researches information if not readily available.
- Initiates transfer of records for entering employees and responds to record requests/employment verifications for former employees when appropriate.
- Assists departments in preparing volunteers, interns, and student observers for arrival onsite by ensuring completion of required paperwork and background checks.
- Maintains the security and confidentiality of employee data per established guidelines.
- Processes and prepares routine and non-routine technical correspondence.
- Maintains and makes changes to human resources related forms as requested.
- Assists in maintaining complete and accurate records and reports.
- Creates spreadsheets for tracking, reconciling, and streamlining data.
- Attends departmental, regional, and statewide meetings and/or workshops to keep abreast of personnel-related issues.
- Works on special projects including cross-departmental projects.
- Assists the Pay/Pers administrator in researching and implementing systems for department and organizational efficiency.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and/or regulations governing human resources practices related to recruitment and selection, and employee leaves.
- Knowledge of general office management practices, procedures, and systems, including principles of customer service and support.
- Ability to master computer software applications and programs as they pertain to applicant tracking and HRIS systems, as well as the ability to manipulate the software to meet the needs of the NWESD.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply rules, regulations and directives, and then communicate such to the appropriate individuals in an effective manner, both in oral and written format.
- Ability to work independently using effective time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in a complex, demanding, and critical position.
- Ability to learn and master new job responsibilities.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement within established policies and guidelines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of employee records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, state agency staff, benefit administrators, OSPI, board members, and the public.
High school graduate or equivalent, an AA or BA Degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field preferred. Three years of progressively responsible experience in human resources, preferably in the educational environment. PHR or SHRM-CP certification is highly desired. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted which provides the skills, knowledge, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. WSP criminal history background clearance required. Valid Washington State driver’s license and proof of liability insurance required.
Employment Conditions and Benefits
8 hours per day, 260 days per year.
Medical Insurance, Dental and Vision Insurance with 100% paid premiums for employee and eligible dependents, Paid Leave including vacation (12-23 days), Sick (12 days), 14 paid Holidays, Bereavement Leave, Jury Duty Leave, Tuition Reimbursement, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance), WA State Department of Retirement Systems Membership (Schools Employees' Retirement System), Deferred Compensation Program offering 457 deferred savings plan, Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care, Voluntary Employees' Benefits Association (VEBA) participation, Employee Assistance Program, Training and other Professional Development opportunities.
Salary RangeSalary Schedule I, Range 21 ($62,337.60 - $70,200.00)
How to Apply
Submit a complete application at nwesd.org/jobs. Applications for this position must include:
- Letter of Interest
- Other documents may be included at your discretion