Process Safety Engineer
An exciting career awaits you
At MPC, we’re committed to being a great place to work – one that welcomes new ideas, encourages diverse perspectives, develops our people, and fosters a collaborative team environment.
Provides leadership and process safety support for the refinery’s Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management (RMP) programs and provides process safety management (PSM) support to operations, maintenance, staff, technical groups and line management. Interacts frequently with Operations, Maintenance and Engineering personnel and others to help resolve process safety issues and instill a healthy process safety culture. This position is responsible for assisting in the implementation, compliance, communication, and continued improvement of many of the elements of Process Safety Management (PSM) including but not limited to Management of Change (MOC), Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), Facility Siting and Auditing.
- Facilitate PHA’s/LOPSs as assigned
- Serve as program owner and/or technical SME for facility siting as assigned
- Drive Open Process Safety issues to resolution interfacing with all levels of the organization
- Analyze, track and trend process safety incidents
- Tracks and analyzes process safety metrics to identify trends, strengths, and improvement opportunities. Develops reports to effectively communicate metrics and trends.
- Assist in monitoring of effectiveness of Management of Change (MOC), Pre-startup Safety Review (PSSR), and Process Safety Information (PSI) and Audit elements of PSM including participating in compliance and insurance audits and assessment of PSM/RMP elements
- Leads/participates in incident investigations, root cause analyses and reporting. Critically reviews investigation root causes and recommendations and challenges the organization to learn from incidents and prevent recurrence.
- Participates in Refinery PSM Network
- Regularly communicate with Process Safety Supervisor to meet goal and objectives.
- Conducts regulatory and technical research, and attend industry conferences. Participates in specialty industry groups to share and learn good process safety practices, advocates for sound regulations or updates to industry standards
- Develops and delivers training on process safety management topics such as, but not limited to, PHA, MOC/PSSR, risk assessment, process safety in design, and safe operating practices.
- Provides support as required to PSM regulatory inspections, including field inspections, and document requests.
- Collaborates with facility personnel to ensure process safety recommendations are closed adequately in a timely manner.
- Recommend solutions for problems or potential problem areas with the focus in process safety.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Science Field Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering Preferred
- 3 Years Engineering experience in Refining, petrochemical or chemical industries with emphasis in process safety required
- 7+ years engineering experience in refining preferred
- Leadership ability is required
- Demonstrated commitment to process safety
- PHA Facilitation qualified and experienced
- Knowledge and experience in facility siting specific to API 752/753/756.
- Strong knowledge of OSHA PSM standards and EPA RMP (Rick Management Program) regulations
- Strong knowledge of refinery and/or chemical operations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Able to effectively present technical information to audience with non-technical background
- Must have ability to perform essential job duties and work extended hours, including nights and weekends in process operations environment as needed. Work may be conducted during period of inclement weather
- Strong analytical skills with experience in statistical application
- Must have demonstrated skill in the interpretation and implementation of regulations/regulatory requirements
- Requires the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects while meeting deadlines
- Ability to provide training to multiple groups on a variety of applicable assigned discipline topics
- Proficiency with various computer applications used for presentation, training, tracking and budget processes
- Ability to recognize hazards, drive continual improvement and promote practical alternatives for risk reduction and risk control measures
As an energy industry leader, our career opportunities fuel personal and professional growth.
Location:Anacortes WA Refinery
Job Requisition ID:00007618
Pay Min/Max:$100,300.00 - $172,800.00
Grade:11 - 12
Location Address:10200 West March Point Rd
Employee Group:Full time