Marine Engine Mechanic
SUMMARY: Performs duties of : Gas & diesel engine repairs - The job involves Trouble shooting and diagnosing gas engine , & associated system problems. Determining what parts and materials are required for the job. Total disassembly and rebuilding of gas engines, cooling systems, shafts, rudders, Some limited I/O repair etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diagnosing problems (as pertains to areas specified above)
- Establishing what corrective action is required and what materials / parts are needed
- Removal of defective parts & systems
- Removal and replacement of gears, shafts, props, rudders, struts and couplings
- Ability to perform major over-hauls on gas engines
- Working knowledge of cooling systems, electrical, lubrication, fuel systems, and drives
- Communicate effectively with customers
- Sea trial and test repairs
- Maintains strict adherence to all established safety procedures, practices and standards
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned and constitute no more than 5% of the work time
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Completion of: Minimum of 12 th grade education (High school Grad.); 2 years of Technical training
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Completion of 2 years minimum of apprentice work and two (2) years directly as a marine mechanic in a directly related field of work.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS: Comprehension of safe work environment Knowledge of carburation and ignition systems Able to use and understand diagnostic tools and equipment. Handling of vessels Good human relations skills Able to communicate effectively with other team members.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Able to lift 50 Lb. Extensive periods of kneeling crawling and squatting Lots of climbing in and out of boats Long periods of standing at work benches Protection for ears is required Protection against solvents and chemicals is required
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Subject to hot engine rooms in cramped and awkward positions around running equipment.