Parks Maintenance Foreman – Wednesday through Sunday
This position is responsible for assisting the Park Operations Supervisor with planning, prioritizing and scheduling activities in accordance with the goals, policies and objectives of the operation. The Foreman is responsible for organizing, scheduling and directing the public offenders work crew program, being a liaison between various agencies and organizations in the downtown area, and responsible for routine grounds maintenance and facility and equipment repairs.
EXAMPLES OF FUNCTIONS: Essential functions may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following**:**
Supervise the public offenders work crew program and Youth Graffiti Abatement Program to include coordinating with police and courts on eligible candidates, keeping accurate records of all participants and hours worked, and developing quarterly reports on total hours worked and tasks accomplished.
Responsible for scheduling offenders work crew projects and youth graffiti abatement projects for City Parks, common areas, City facilities, and rights-of-way within the City of Mount Vernon.
Liaison with downtown organizations, volunteers, and businesses to coordinate needs of the downtown area and assistance with event preparation such as the Farmers Market, Holiday Tree Lighting, parades and concerts.
Assist with the organization and implementation of street tree maintenance and management to include but not limited to plant selection, pruning, planting, spraying, and removal of street trees.
Assists Operations Supervisor with the planning, designing and implementing of routine maintenance and one time projects.
Assists Operations Supervisor with and/or directly assigns the daily work assignments for employees to include, full and part-time staff and volunteers.
Assists the Operations Supervisor with developing the division budget and monitoring expenditures along with the requisition of services, supplies, and equipment.
May perform tasks that are related to horticultural and landscape maintenance, sports fields, trails, and maintenance and repair of park facilities.
Conducts tailgate safety meetings and trainings as needed and coordinates job-site activities for maximum efficiency and safety. Operates and instructs maintenance staff on the proper use of department equipment and vehicles.
Answers, resolves, or refers questions and complaints from citizens within the scope of authority.
Assists the Operations Supervisor during interviewing and hiring of seasonal, part- time and full-time staff and assist with preparation of staff performance reviews.
Determines the need for site maintenance or repair and removal of fire and safety hazards. Troubleshoots and directs on-site work and corrective actions.
Trains subordinates in work methods and safety practices, prepares and submits reports concerning work performed, material and equipment usage, and safety and other related matters.
Assists and coordinates work activities with other City Operations and representatives of local, state and federal agencies, citizens and equipment/material suppliers.
Maintains knowledge of all division and City of Mount Vernon policies and procedures, including but not limited to safety procedures and labor contracts.
Maintains tools and equipment and stores them properly.
Participates in staff meetings, management team meetings, appropriate seminars, conferences, training and special meetings as per direction of supervisor.
Assist with special events as directed.
May assume the duties and responsibilities of the Operations Supervisor in his/her absence.
Perform other duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or GED.
· Five years’ work experience in parks operations with three (3) years supervisory experience. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a supervisory operational position setting work schedules, providing field supervision and evaluation of projects.
· Experience working for a state, county or municipal agency is preferred.
· Must have a driving history acceptable to the City and must maintain an insurable driving record.
· Bilingual is preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Skills and abilities of Park Maintenance Utilities Operator.
· General construction methods/facility design process and project administration.
· Parks and building maintenance, turf care, tree/shrub and athletic field/care practices.
· Work hazards, safety procedures, functions and operating methods of equipment used in all phases of skill area.
· Operation of basic office equipment and Work Order Software (computer, Microsoft Office, Facility Dude, fax, copy machine, etc.).
· Coordinating various activities and projects with changing priorities.
· Organizing/scheduling daily work activities and projects with changing priorities, setting priorities, and evaluating the work of subordinates.
· Consistently provide high quality customer service, exercising courtesy and tact in dealing with citizens and the general public to maintain effective public relations.
· Working cooperatively with staff, volunteers, organizations, City Work Program participants, contracted personnel and the public.
· Operate basic office equipment (computer, Microsoft Office, fax, copy machine, etc.)
· Problem solving conflicts and disputes as applicable.
· Supervise, organize, motivate, train and manage participants in various programs and agencies.
· Train work crew participants and volunteers in the correct and safe use of many hand tools and equipment.
· Operate all park equipment including, but not limited to front-end loader, backhoe, excavators, a variety of commercial style mowers, 12” and larger wood chippers, dump trucks, tractors with attached implements, assorted types of hand tools, gas and electric power tools, forklifts, bucket and boom trucks, aerial platforms, chainsaws, and city vehicles.
· Tow trailers carrying various types of equipment.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Train, motivate, influence and direct division staff.
· Work independently with minimal oversight.
· Pursue on-going training in the field of Park and Recreation Facility and Grounds maintenance.
· Take responsibility for end work product and ownership of position.
· Drive City vehicles including vans to transport programparticipants.
· React quickly and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
· Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships withothers.
· Interact with other using tact, patience and courtesy; maintain composure when interacting with angry or upset individuals.
License and Certification Requirements
· A valid CDL A with air brakes endorsement or ability to obtain within one year.
· A valid Washington State DOA Pesticide License – Public Operator with Ornamental Weed Endorsement, Right-of-Way Weed Control and Aquatic Pest Control Licenses or ability to obtain within one year from date of hire.
· A valid Flagger Certification or ability to obtain within one year from date of hire.
· A valid CPR/First Aid and AED certification or ability to obtain within one year from date of hire.
Effective August 16, 2021, all new hires to the City will be required as a condition of employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to start date. If you have questions or need an accommodation for this requirement due to a disability or religious reason, you can speak to our HR Department for further information.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume detailing their experience and qualifications with their application, please include a list of current certifications and licenses. Please visit www.mountvernonwa.gov/172/Job-Opportunities to apply online. Applications must be received no later than 11:59 pm on Saturday, April 30, 2022. For additional information, or a complete job description, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be required to pass a skills/knowledge test. The successful candidate will be required to pass a pre- employment physical, drug test and background check. In addition, the candidate will be required to submit a driver’s abstract with driving history acceptable to the City.
The City of Mount Vernon provides and enforces a drug free workplace and maintains a smoke free work environment.