Streets/Collections Laborer - Seasonal
JOB TITLE: Streets/Collections Laborer - Seasonal
DEPARTMENT: Public Works – Streets/Collections
SALARY RANGE: $18.01 $20.28 per hour
CLOSING DATE: Sunday, April 28, 2022
JOB SUMMARY: This is a seasonal position within the Streets/Collections Division of Public Works. This position participates in the operation and maintenance of wastewater, storm water drainage, roadways, sidewalks, signage, and associated facilities. The laborer performs work in accordance with the goals, policies, and objectives of the Public Works Department. Work is often performed under adverse, strenuous, and unpleasant conditions. This position is supervised by the Foreman, Assistant Supervisor, and Operations Manager.
EXAMPLES OF FUNCTIONS: Essential functions may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Routine repair, cleaning, and maintenance of city infrastructure including the wastewater, storm water drainage systems, roadways, sidewalks, signage, right-of-way, and associated facilities.
- Assists in roadway maintenance including street sweeping, crack sealing, asphalt paving, cold patching and grading alleys.
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of raised pavement markings, thermoplastic markings and lane striping.
- Repairs and installs guardrails, roadway signage, and other forms of signage.
- Constructs sidewalks, curb/gutters, and ADA ramps.
- Assists in the construction and cleaning of storm water drainage lines, sanitary sewer lines, ditches and detention ponds.
- Assist in flood emergencies including sand bags, catch basin clearing, and flood wall installation.
- Responsible for operating assigned vehicles and equipment within the division on a daily basis (etc. 1 ton dump trucks, brush chippers, weed eaters, power saws, jack hammers, jumping jacks)
- Inspects all equipment/tools prior used to ensure safe operating conditions.
- Refuels equipment and adds other necessary fluids, such as oil and fills out any needed reports for defective equipment.
- Assists in vegetation maintenance in ROW including tree trimming, weed eating, mowing, and herbicide application.
- Assists in pest management including rodents and mosquitos
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: • Various hand tools. • Safe operation of power tools and equipment. Skills in: • Use of hand tools. • Excellent customer service.
Ability to: • Use various hand tools (pitch fork, shovel, broom, weed eater, machete, etc.). • Be Alert at all times and work in a safe manner. • Work on very steep slopes and uneven surfaces. • Properly lift up to 80 pounds maximum weight limit. • Bend, stoop, lift and pull frequently throughout the day. • Take orders and work well with other employees. • Operate and maintain department brush chipper. • Operate and maintain power equipment and pick-up truck. • Work in all types of weather conditions. • Work well with the public and be courteous. • Handle citizens that may be displeased in a professional manner. • Keep record of work performed and make changes accurately.
QUALIFICATIONS: • High school Diploma or GED • Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license with driving record acceptable to the City. • Must be able to pass a background check.
JOB LOCATION AND EQUIPMENT: The job is located in the field environment within the improved areas of the city. The majority of the work is performed outdoors at various locations throughout the city. Field environment will require exposure to weather, including all types of inclement weather and a wide temperature range. In addition to environmental exposures, this position will have to maneuver on and through all types of terrain, including asphalt-paved surfaces, gravel surfaces, bare earth and forested areas. The job may also involve working in the traveled portion of the streets during traffic flow and working in and around heavy construction equipment on various construction sites. This position uses equipment and tools specific to this department and must be attentive to safety warnings on job site. Some work extends to surface water drainage basins located beyond the city boundary that are impacted by city tributaries.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS: This position is performed mostly outside and requires physical strength and agility necessary to work under all kinds of weather conditions. Work is often performed under adverse and strenuous conditions. Will be required to work on uneven terrain that may become wet and slippery. Exposure to noise, vibration, hazardous and toxic materials, fumes, gases and odors are moderate. Must have adequate hearing, correctable vision and manual dexterity to operate power equipment safely in a noisy work environment. Will perform tasks involving repetitive and arm movements for extended periods of time. Have the physical strength and ability sufficient to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time. Must follow appropriate safety procedures and the use of protective clothing and equipment. This position requires strenuous physical activity and the ability to repeatedly push/ pull and lift weights up to 80 lbs. Will be required to operate power equipment (weed eaters, hedge trimmers, etc.) on steep and uneven slopes. Bend stoop and reach with hands and arms, often overhead, while supporting weight. Employee is constantly exposed to unpleasant smells and insects.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please apply online at www.mountvernonwa.gov. Interested applicants must submit a resume with their application no later than April 28, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.. Interviews will be scheduled with the most qualified candidates. For additional information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective August 16, 2021, all new hires to the City will be required as a condition of employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to start date. If you have questions or need an accommodation for this requirement due to a disability or religious reason, you can speak to our HR Department for further information.
The City of Mount Vernon provides and enforces a drug free workplace and maintains a smoke free work environment. The City of Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.