Recreation Aide – Rec on-the Go Program
JOB TITLE: Recreation Aide – Rec on-the Go Program DEPARTMENT: Parks and Enrichment Services CLASSIFICATION: Non-Represented SALARY: $14.49 to $ 16.32 per hour CLOSING DATE: This position is open until filled with a first review date of April 8, 2022
JOB SUMMARY: Assists the Recreation Lead with providing recreational activities for children ages 3-13. Recreation Aides will perform other duties to support department recreation programs as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF FUNCTIONS: Essential functions may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists the Recreation Lead in preparing, planning, and leading activities such as organized games and sports, crafts, fitness, environmental, and STEM for youth 3-13 years of age.
- Assist with site planning and preparation.
- Actively leads and mentors’ children through participation in daily activities.
- Helps with the preparation of daily activities.
- Assists with daily set-up and take-down of equipment to include but not limited to tables, chairs, canopy, game and sport gear, and organizing materials and supplies.
- Must be able to react quickly and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Encourage children to participate in programmed activities by involving them and working with them to ensure a fun and positive experience.
- Provides Recreation Lead with ideas for activities, games and/or arts and crafts.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines: • Must be 16 years of age and enrolled in High School or have H.S. diploma equivalent. • Previous experience working with youth. • Current First Aid/CPR certification required or acquire within the first month of employment. • Bilingual (English/Spanish) desired
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: • Recreational sports, games, crafts for youth ages 3 – 13. • Basic safety precautions for recreational activities.
Skills in: • Explaining and enforcing rules, procedures, and program procedures.
Ability to: • Exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with participants and parents. • Actively play and participate with children 3-13 years of age. • Work well with other employees and the public. • Maintain a professional appearance. • Respectfully communicate with parents, co-workers, and participants. • Follow detailed instructions.
Effective August 16, 2021, all new hires to the City will be required as a condition of employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to start date. If you have questions or need an accommodation for this requirement due to a disability or religious reason, you can speak to our HR Department for further information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, bend, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb or crawl. The employee must be able to lift up to 25 pounds on a frequent basis and lift/move up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis with assistance. This position works primarily outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested applicants must submit cover letter and resume with their application. Please visit www.mountvernonwa.gov/jobs to apply online. First review of applications to take place on April 8, 2022. For additional information please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
The City of Mount Vernon provides and enforces a drug free workplace and maintains a smoke free work environment. The City of Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.