TITLE: Network Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Information Services
SALARY RANGE: $6,078 to $7,457 / Non-Represented / Non-Exempt
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
First Review March 10, 2022
Under the direction of the IS Supervisor, and IS Director, the Network Administrator is responsible for the daily operation of the city's network infrastructure including telecommunications equipment.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Recommends and ensures compliance with information technology policies and procedures in all aspects of computing, telecommunications, and networks.
- Assists in the successful operation of all networking hardware devices, server infrastructure and security applications.
- Protects and maintains the integrity of the City's data resources through storage management and backup and recovery procedures.
- Maintains detailed, up to date documentation of system configurations, network topologies, management procedures
- Assists in the operation and security of the City's VoIP telecommunication system which includes voice mail and advanced phone features.
- Proactively monitors the network and servers for performance issues, hardware failures and unwanted intrusions.
- Performs a variety of duties in the installation, testing, configuration and troubleshooting of hardware and software applications and equipment. Manages network software and hardware licensing and support contracts and vendor relationships.
- Performs scheduled audits of infrastructure devices for asset tracking and retention schedule compliance.
- Perform help desk requests in a tier Ill capacity and assist with tier I & tier II support as needed.
- Installation of server racks, communication racks, cable management systems and raceways, servers, switches, firewalls and other gear.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems management, business computer programming, or closely related field.
• Five years of progressively responsible experience in network administration and supporting a complex multi-site enterprise environment utilizing server and data communication operating systems in Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Cisco environments.
• An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of:
• Servers, SANs, routers, switches, firewalls, VPNs, BGP, SIEMs and email archival systems preferably with Dell, Cisco, Fortiwall, Juniper, Brocade, EMC, Splunk, Cacti, Eventlog Manager, and HP products. Storage Area Network technology including both hardware and virtualization based.
• VMware virtualization solutions including vSphere ESXi, vSphere, vMotion and VMware View.
• Enterprise class VPN solutions including Cisco, Net Motion and other SSL
• Layer 3 switching, VLAN routing, network traffic shaping and throttling.
• Mitel MiVoice Business phone systems and AVST voicemail systems.
• 2012 - 2019 Microsoft Server Operating Systems and Microsoft applications including but not limited to SOL, Exchange, IIS and SharePoint. Administration of Office 365, Azure Active Directory and cloud-based Microsoft Security and Applications.
• Working compliance requirements including FIPS, HIPAA, CJIS.
• Working knowledge of Dell server platforms.
• Maintaining and implementing network security.
• Advanced Active Directory including GPO, Domain Trust Relationships and PowerShell Scripting.
• Backup and replication software for both virtualized and non-virtualized environments.
• Experience supporting, implementing, and administering network computer systems utilizing server and data communication operating systems in Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Cisco environments.
• Oral and written communication.
• Using initiative and independent judgement within established procedural guidelines.
• Configure network equipment via Command Line Interface.
• Work independently with little direction and efficiently organize work schedules and tasks;
• Develop working relationships with city staff, vendors and the public.
License and Certification Requirements
• Valid Washington State driver’s license. Must have a driving history acceptable to the city and must maintain an insurable driving record.
• CCNA – Cisco Certified Network Associate
• Employee must agree to, and sign, a privileged access confidentiality agreement.
• Employment contingent upon passing a criminal convictions check, local background check and fingerprinting; subject to re-check every five years.
Effective August 16, 2021, all new hires to the City will be required as a condition of employment to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to start date. If you have questions or need an accommodation for this requirement due to a disability or religious reason, you can speak to our HR Department for further information.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume with their application and respond to the supplemental questionnaire. Please visit www.mountvernonwa.gov/jobs to apply online. First Review of applications to take place on March 10, 2022. For additional information or for a complete job description, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
The City of Mount Vernon provides and enforces a drug free workplace and maintains a smoke free work environment.
The City of Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.